Monday, June 3, 2013

Week 8

Date: Monday June 3, 2013
Weather: Sunny, Clear
Temperature: 70 degrees F
Time: 3:30-pm-5:00pm
Location: Union Bay Natural Area

This afternoon in Union Bay Natural Area the birds are chirping with renewed frenzy as I trace the familiar trail to my site, which is now overgrown and thoroughly green. Having been able to borrow a camera I can now share photographs in place of my original notebook drawings and note the difference between that which I captured, and what the small camera exposes. Under the sweltering heat (I wore black...) I make my way through the tall grasses surrounding my pond, seeking shade. I have taken refuge in the shadow of a generous Oregon Ash (Fraxinus Latifolia). I note some of the distinct changes that have occurred since my last visit. Foremost, the pond is all but filled with different plants, and the water is barely visible through the tall rushes, which extend far above my head. The Mallards (Anas Platyrhynchos) and Gadwalls (Anas strepera) have gone (but are to be found elsewhere in UBNA) and have been replaced with swallows and wrens, or so I believe. The sectioned area of the pond that presents itself directly before me has sprouted the tall rushes, and as I draw nearer I become quiet curious about its inhabitants. Conveniently equipped with my rain boots I take as many steps into the murky water as I can, making my way around the plantlife. I spot a large nest inside constructed of what appears to be twigs, and different plants from the marsh area. The maker of the nest, no doubt a Marsh Wren (Cistothorus palustris), was unaware of my presence or simply away from the nest at this time (later I will encounter another, furiously singing Marsh Wren). Neither wanting to disturb the nest nor soak my feet I retreat to the other section of the pond. This section does not have rushes, but what appears to be a thin grass s[routing from the entire pond's base. I find that I have further access to this pond and place myself among the grasses near the center of the pond. 

This bird in the center of the photo was one of five of the same species swooping continuously around the marsh. Each bird possessed a great deal of energy, for they never seem to quit. I want very much to identify them but am afraid I would not be correct. The bellies are white, the heads black, the shoulders dark and reflecting blue/green tones. From under the birds I notice that the undersides of the wings were brown, and could not remember studying any birds that look like this. Audbon's only similar bird is the Tree Swallow (Tachysineta bicolor).
On another note, the plantlife here has taken off and surrounding the path is thick, impenetrable vegetation. The tall Cottonwood (Populus balsamifera) that rests on the banks of the pond has begun to produce cotton, which is scattered about the tree as well as the bushes below. 
When I first began to visit this pond I was not aware that the trees I had been sketching were Cottonwoods, I had been looking for flowers, but it was far too early, and now I am able to feel the cotton. 
Aside from the birds, whose attitudes grow warmer with the weather, I also spotted two Green Darner Dragonflies (Anax junius) who appeared to be mating. In fact, I did interrupt them.
Union Bay Natural Area, and my pond in particular has been a fantastic place to begin noting phenology and become acquainted with nature in a city. For the first time in my life I feel far removed from the natural environment, I find UBNA, as well as Ravenna and other parks to be a comfort while living in Seattle.