Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Invertebrates at UBNA

Date: Monday May 6, 2013
Weather: Sunny
Temperature: 65-70 degrees F
Time: 6:30pm-7:30pm
Location: Union Bay Natural Area
In the last few weeks Union Bay Natural Area has become much more colorful than previous visits. Many of the flowers are blooming and more birds have come and are actually visible. Due to the trip to the Olympic Peninsula I missed a week here, and have returned to a habitat with healthy Spring growth. Today, however, is specifically for invertebrates. We learned in lecture that Earth, viewed from an outsider, could be recognized as a planet of the insects. Many different species of insect exist on the planet, creating a very diverse population. The Class Insecta includes 30 orders, 10 million species, and counts for 50-60% of biodiversity. Generally, the term insect excludes many  'bugs' that we group into the term. To be more inclusive, there are also Crustaceans, Arachnids, Myriapods, and more.
The phylum, Hymenoptera of Homometabolis means 'membrane-wings' and includes two of the species I saw at UBNA. Unable to tell distinctly which species they are, the greater terms are ant, and bee! Both of these are 'thread-waisted' and are considered parasites of biocontrol. The ants I observed were crawling all over the small mound of earth that I usually rest on when observing my site, and seem to spread outward in all directs in dense populations. The ants seem to be of a very dark brown and black color and are swift, feel around with their antennae, and are particularly curious about my notebook. The bees here are not large Bumble Bees, but may be Solitary or Honey Bees. I did not notice any beehives but cannot help but notice the bees buzzing about the air around me, though they generally leave me alone and do not seem threatened by my presence. The bees were yellow and black, and probably on the search for flowers, or just coming back from a pollination outing.
Aside from the Hymenoptera I also saw a Dragonfly. This Dragonfly whizzed by the water in front of me, it seemed to be a metallic green-blue. We learned that the Green Darner Dragonfly is our state insect in Washington, but I cannot be sure if that is what I saw. However, I do know that Dragonflies are predaceous, and that they cannot fold their wings back, however, if I remember correctly, Damselflies do have the ability to fold their wings.
I am positive that there are countless species here to observe, insects are everywhere! I do hope that I see some more, weeks and weeks ago I remember seeing some very pale, small Butterflies, and if I see them again soon, I will be sure to include them in my list.
Insects' reputation does not reflect how useful they are. The biodiversity that they provide for this habitat is vital to the success of UBNA. However, I can understand the fear of insects in general, as they easily pass unseen, and are not entirely welcome in households because they may infest walls, furniture, food, etc. Out here though, they are not considered pests nearly as often, and many species are revered.

No comments:

Post a Comment